Historic Portobelo & Isla Mamey
1 DAY (8 hrs)
Enjoy a full day of sun, beach and exploring historic ruins, all set against the backdrop of the Caribbean coast.
Portobelo is a small fishing village on the Caribbean coast of Panama that was once the greatest Spanish port in Central America and served as an important pathway for gold and treasures coming from Peru. Housing the colonial ruins of Fort San Jeronimo and Santiago Battery as well as the old customs house, which was used to house all of the plundered treasure from various regions of South America while awaiting shipment to Spain. Portobelo is also known for the annual Festival de Cristo Negro, one of the most popular and vibrant religious celebrations where tens of thousands of locals and visitors take to the streets. Iglesia de San Juan de Dios houses the Cristo Negro and is one of the most important religious symbols in Panama.
Isla Mamey is a short speedboat ride from Puerto Lindo, not too far away from Portobelo. Coconut trees and white sand make it a small hidden paradise and an ideal spot to swim and enjoy some beach time during your day tour.
Transport arranged from your hostel/hotel in Panama City
Pick-up between 7:30 and 8:00 am
Drop-off approximately 4:00 pm
- Return transport in comfortable air-conditioned vans
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- Iglesia de San Juan de Dios (Black Christ Church)
- Fort San Jeronimo (fort ruins)
- Old custom house (Spanish gold holding house)
- Santiago Battery (fort ruins)
- Isla Mamey beach (entrance fee included)
- Lunch is not included but you can purchase lunch in Portobelo (or Isla Mamey on the weekends) for $10-$15 per person, or you are welcome to bring your own. There are “tiendas” along the way that offer cold drinks and snacks to purchase.
We recommended to bring along water, sunscreen and a bathing suit and towel if you want to go swimming (which you most likely will once you get there).
|Adult prices (minimum 2 ppl)|
|2-4 ppl||$140 pp|
|5-6 ppl||$120 pp|
|7-8 ppl||$100 pp|
|9+ ppl||$80 pp|
|Private tour (1-4 ppl)*||$425|