San Lorenzo & Agua Clara Locks Tour
The most impressive fort ruins in Panama, Fuerte San Lorenzo was constructed around the mid-1500´s and served as the vanguard for Spanish-Panama´s treasure stores until the infamous captain (some would say pirate) William Morgan defeated San Lorenzo´s defenses. The fort is a reminder of the country´s turbulent history during Spanish rule. The story of William Morgan making landfall has captivated historians and travelers alike. Largely outnumbered he and his men overran the fort and proceeded to make their way to Panama City on foot where they ransacked and destroyed the city before returning to Fort San Lorenzo.
The tour first crosses to Agua Clara Locks (Canal Expansion) and then you will make your way down to San Lorenzo, one of the least visited tourist attractions in Panama, and also one of it´s best kept secrets.
Transport arranged from your hostel/hotel in Panama City
Pick-up between 7:30 and 8:00 am
Drop-off approximately 4:00 pm
- Return transport in comfortable air-conditioned vans
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- Agua Clara Locks (Panama Canal expansion)
- Fort San Lorenzo ruins
- Deserted American Town
- Scenic jungle drive
- Lunch is not included but you can enjoy lunch at Shelter Bay Marina for $15-$25 per person. You are also welcome to bring your own lunch.
It is recommended to bring along water, snacks, insect repellant and suncreen.
|Adult prices (minimum 2 ppl)|
|2-4 ppl||$90 pp|
|5-6 ppl||$85 pp|
|7-8 ppl||$80 pp|
|9+ ppl||$75 pp|
|Private tour (1-4 ppl)*||$425|
General trip itinerary
- Pick up in Panama City
- Tour starts at the Agua Clara Locks then with a drive over the Atlantic Bridge at the entrance of the Panama Canal
- You will make your way down to the San Lorenzo Fort ruins on the Caribbean Coast
- Drive through the remnants of an American ghost town from the time the Canal was considered part of the USA
- Descend into dense Panamanian jungle and onto the coast. Fort San Lorenzo is situated on the cliffs of the Caribbean sea, occupying an impressive position on the headlands of the Rio Chagres
- Tour will guide you through the fort ruins giving you an insight into it´s rich and violent history
- Return to Panama City